Thursday, December 4, 2014

Esther tells me . . .

...I'll need to update the little thermometer soon. Yay.

The working sabbatical is already working. At a feature in Northampton Mass. the night before last, several great things:

  1. my 30 minute set got a standing ovation, the first ever there I was told. About 100 mostly young folks in the audience. wow
  2. encore requested; encore delivered
  3. I came hope with about $350 in book sales, $150 pay for the feature, and $100 check from an individual for the working sabbatical (a single father on disability!). 
  4. A Providence RI poet made it a point of getting there (on his way to a meditation retreat). He and his partner took me out after and had many ideas about (high) paying work in their city, plus a one-month everything paid artist's retreat space in Providence that they thought they could help me get into. Will keep you updated on THAT!
It was a really amazing night. I feel I am coming into my own. They loved and deeply heard every poem.

Also got a performance gig in Bar Harbor Maine - contract in hand. And waiting to hear from Williams College, a BIG gig there but lots of competition. Will let you know on that too.